Destinations Career Academy at Minnesota Virtual Academy
Your student can prepare for college and career with the Destinations Career Academy at Minnesota Virtual Academy (MNVA).
What is Destinations?
The Destinations Career Academy at Minnesota Virtual Academy (MNVA)is an innovative, tuition-free online program that combines core academics with industry-relevant, career-focused electives—giving students a jump-start on their college and career goals. Starting in 8th grade, students can begin taking Career Exploration courses to help them discover their strengths and interests. As they begin working toward their high school diplomas, students can choose from a variety of elective courses in these high-demand career fields: Business, Health and Human Services, Information Technology, and Manufacturing and the Trades. Minnesota-licensed teachers provide live online instruction and tailor teaching to student needs. Students can participate in career-oriented clubs, gain workplace skills, and prepare to take industry-recognized certification exams in their chosen career path upon graduation.*
Career-focused courses are based on the knowledge and skills required for each career pathway in the following high-demand career fields:
- Business: Careers in finance, marketing, and planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating business functions essential to efficient and productive business operations. Learn more about Business.
- Health and Human Services: Careers in planning, managing, and providing therapeutic services, diagnostic services, health informatics, support services, and biotechnology research and development. Learn more about Health and Human Services.
- Information Technology (IT): Building linkages in IT occupations for entry level, technical, and professional careers related to the design, development, support, and management of hardware, software, multimedia, and systems integration services. Learn more about Information Technology.
- Manufacturing and the Trades: Careers in planning, managing, and performing the processing of materials into intermediate or final products and related professional and technical support activities such as production planning and control, maintenance, and manufacturing and process engineering. Learn more about Manufacturing and the Trades.
*Many Microsoft® Office certificates can be earned after completing one course. Other certificates require more classes to be better prepared, and students who attend Destinations for at least two years will have further exposure to career readiness education courses to be best prepared for certification testing.
Learn More About Career Pathways
Hear from Krin Abraham, Head of School for Minnesota Virtual Academy, as she provides information about the Destinations student experience.
Destinations students can join the SkillsUSA chapter at MNVA. With curriculum that covers 130 job categories and more than 600 national partners—businesses, trade associations, and unions—SkillsUSA gives students the opportunity to:
- Practically apply what they learn in the classroom
- Take courses in addition to those offered by the MNVA course catalog
- Participate in academic competitions and community service activities
- Connect with like-minded students who have similar career and academic interests
- Earn scholarships offered exclusively through SkillsUSA