Testing and Assessment FAQs
What tests are required as part of the program?
- Stride K12 lesson assessments
- Stride K12 unit assessments
- MCA-II (Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments—Series II, grades 3-8)
- High school students who first entered 8th grade in 2004–2005 or earlier must pass the Minnesota Basic Skills Tests (BTS) in Reading, Writing and Math in order to earn a Minnesota High School graduation diploma
- High school students who first entered 8th grade in 2005–2006 or later must pass the Minnesota Graduation-Required Assessment for Diploma (GRAD) embedded in the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA-II)
Families enrolling at MNVA must be willing to participate in all required areas of the program.
How is student progress assessed?
The Minnesota Virtual Academy is a mastery-based program, which means students master concepts and lessons before moving on to the next lesson. Following NCLB and state guidelines, students are expected to make at least a year's growth in a year's time. Teachers will assess mastery and provide feedback to students and families.