Information Technology (IT)
Which pathways are offered?
- Cybersecurity—This pathway prepares students to protect internet-connected systems, including hardware, software and data, from cyberattacks. Successful establishment and maintenance of IT security is critical for all businesses/organizations.
- Digital Design—This pathway prepares students to produce digitally generated or computer-enhanced media used in business, training, entertainment, communications, and marketing.
- Networking—This pathway prepares students to design, install, maintain, and manage network systems which make up critical technology infrastructure across industries.
- Programming—This pathway prepares students to design, develop, implement, and maintain computer systems and software, requiring knowledge of computer operating systems, programming and markup languages (JAVA, Python, C++, HTML5/CSS), and software development.
- Web and Digital Communication/Design—This pathway prepares students to create, design, and produce interactive multimedia products and services.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Some of the jobs include:
- Systems Support Specialist
- Computer Engineer
- Applications Software Developer
- Computer Programmer
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
- Software Quality Assurance Engineer
- Systems Software Developer
- Digital Media Specialist
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job, experience, and location but approximate sample salaries include:
- Computer Programmer—$86,550/year
- Software Developer—$105,590/year
- Computer and Information Systems Manager—$146,360/year
- Multimedia Artist and Animator—$75,270/year
*Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, April 10, 2020.
Which industry-recognized certification exams can my student prepare for?
- The National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) Computer Networking Fundamentals
- ACT National Career Readiness Certification (NCRC)
- Adobe Certified Associate certifications